- Do you backup my website?
- Do you take backup every week?
- Is it taken automatically?
- Bonus question 1: Do you know how to restore backup?
- Bonus question 2: Is the backup saved in a different location than the host? (remote backup is very important otherwise when your main host becomes unavailable the backup also becomes unavailable!)
If answer to all questions is YES then your website is in the safe hands. If answer to any of the questions is NO then please contact the numbers given at the end of this page.
“There is no need to have backup! It is a waste of money.” I start praying for the speaker when I hear similar sentences. In my 26 years in IT, I have seen really bad things happening:
- One of my highly competent colleague deleted all rows in a very important database table when he was expected to delete only one row. There was no backup and company had to spend weeks to manually put those back from printouts!
- I have seen laptop disks crashing beyond recovery and people losing years of photos and months of hard work.
- People spend months on making a decent website it is gone because there was no back up.
- In some cases backups are old and irrelevant.
- In some cases backups are on the same disk that crashed! Or all the same data center that is not accessible due to earthquake.
- Hackers are known to attack website and hold it for ransom.
There is no limit to how much one can worry. But if you are serious about your website then make sure that your website backup is taken on a remote server and at least every week automatically.
Fair Share IT Services Private Limited has taken third party backup package for it’s clients having WordPress based sites. It is part of the Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC). Backups are taken at a remote server automatically every day. More than two months worth of backup are kept so that you can rollback to any day’s version within that period. There are security checks as well (though this is limited as security is a lot complex). Fair Share IT Services Private Limited also offers this service to clients who do not have AMC with us. Please contact us on the numbers given below and we will understand your exact requirement.
If you take your website seriously then make sure you have frequent remote backups. This is how the dashboard looks like for our own website:
Here is a report that we send to our clients on a weekly basis: